Many of you will have been following advice in the media on how to gradually re-open sporting and leisure facilities. Some will also have seen that a number of shooting grounds have already opened or are planning to open in the near future.
The Club Committee have been holding regular discussions, taking the various advice and recommendations into account, and considering how we can apply this to our own situation. I will set out below, our current position, the points we have had to consider, and how we have come to our decision.
Our position as a Committee, at the time of writing this is that WE ARE UNABLE TO PROVIDE SAFE CONDITIONS FOR SETTING OUT AND OPERATING THE SHOOT AT THIS TIME. THIS IS CONSTANTLY UNDER REVIEW, BUT IT IS DIFFICULT TO SEE ANY CIRCUMSTANCES IN WHICH THIS POSITION WILL CHANGE IN THE NEAR FUTURE.
I know that this will come as a disappointment to many of you, especially when others will be starting to open up and the CPSA is offering advice on how to open commercial grounds.
In coming to this decision, we have had to consider the following key requirements:-
In applying the recommended advice from the CPSA and others, it has been decided that it would be impossible to provide the necessary conditions to operate safely. This is primarily due to our unique situation.
Firstly, if all those people who are either shielding, or who are classed as "vulnerable" are removed from our team of regular "ground staff", then there is no-one to set up the shoot.
Secondly, even if we could get the shoot set up, it would need to look something like this:-
Pre-booking would be required to limit the total number of shooters on site to about 20.
Shooting groups would be limited to 2 people.
Waiting shooters would be required to wait in their car until it is their turn to take the first stand.
There would be no scoring without dedicated scorers, to prevent handling scorecards.
Shooters would be required to leave the ground immediately on completion of their round.
Whilst some of these measures may be appropriate for a commercial ground, they go against the very social, Club environment that we strive to provide and we feel that to operate under these conditions is counter to all our interests.
In summary, this has been a tough decision, but when considering the welfare of all our Members as being the most important factor, has actually been a very easy decision to make.
We shall continue to meet regularly to monitor the situation, and hope you can all understand why this decision has been made.
Be assured, WE WILL BE BACK, but only when it is safe to do so for everybody concerned.
One final point on the matter of memberships. If we are unable to shoot this year, then your membership fee will be rolled over to next season. If we ARE able to get back to shooting this year, albeit in some reduced capacity, then priority will be given to those members who had renewed prior to the first scheduled shoot.
In the meantime, I wish all of you well and look forward to our ""new beginning"".