Bridgwater Shooting Club


Minutes

BRIDGWATER SHOOTING CLUB - 2019 AGM on November 3rd 2019 - 12.30 pm at the Clays Club Site Hut.


Meeting opened at 12.50


Apologies for absence:
Eric Pyrah, Martyn Hill, Ed Ryle


Attendees:
Tony Perham, Mike Hill, Graham Bell, Lee Thompson, Justine Ison, Niamh Western, Tom Marlow, Guy Darling, Jason Porter, Keiran Porter, Malcolm Berridge, Martin Tapp, Richard Barnham, Doug Jefferies, Trevor Allen, Brian Fisher, George Salter, Ian Pickering, Martin Howe and Alan White.


1. Minutes of last meeting 04/11/18 - to be read out, approved by committee and signed by Chairman.
Tony has approved and signed the 2018 minutes.


2. Chairman's address/report for 2019.
Tony wished to thank everyone for their help during the season where it had been given. He noted that he started the season this year just before the clocks changed, leaving the first shoot a little short on time. This will be rectified for the 2020 season to give plenty of time for clearing up in the light. The emphasis for this year was to make the most of the equipment and location that we enjoy. Good comments were received regarding the 'walk-up' stand, the 'no-stand' stand and the use of the top track and it is intended to follow up with something similar next year. The average weekly member turn-out was 44, with approximately 1400 rounds completed over the season. Performance has improved across the board, with 16 different members making the honours list and several more being very close. Interclub competitions have not gone ahead this year, but may be discussed in the future. The All Round event arranged by Mike at Ling Shooting in July was very successful. The event was open to all members with prizes provided from Club funds. This will be repeated in 2020. In October we held the annual awards evening at the Globe and Memsaab restaurant, who catered for us very well compared with last year. Congratulations are given to all the prize winners. The venue for the 2020 award night is to be discussed from the middle of next season. We need to discuss how we can now encourage more juniors and can be covered in AOB.


3. Secretary's report for 2019.
Justine wished to thank everyone for their patience and apologised for only completing a minimum 12 shoots during a rather difficult year personally. Steps are hopefully in place so that she can attend a great deal more next season. Membership is down fractionally from last year but we are still strong in numbers.


4. Treasurer's report for 2019.
Finances are good and look healthy. More money has been spent on rounds, £600 more on cartridges, and membership income is up by £200, largely due to new member joining fees. Outgoing expenses are clays, cartridges and weekly payment for Niamh to do the reception position. Insurance costs were down slightly and we have spent slightly less on prizes this year, partly because we are still using the stock of medals bought previously. All profits are put back into the club for the benefit of members - put back into events (e.g. Ling All Round), awards and incentives for example. The presentation evening costs approximately £1300.


5. Westonzoyland Section report for 2019.
No news from Westonzoyland. They are now self-sufficient with the exception of sharing our insurance which makes it cheaper for both clubs.


6. Resignations, Nominations and Election of Officers and Committee


Tony reminded everybody of the expected commitment of Committee members.


Invitation for new nominations:No new nominees came forward.


Resignations:Eric has tendered his resignation from the committee forthwith.


POSITION - CURRENT OFFICER / NOMINEES / PROPOSER / SECONDER


Chairman - Tony Perham / Tony Perham / Lee Thompson / Jason Porter


Vice Chairman - Mike Hill / Mike Hill / Tony Perham / Graham Bell


Club Secretary - Justine Ison / Justine Ison / Mike Hill / Tony Perham


Treasurer - Graham Bell / Graham Bell / Justin Ison / Martin Tapp


WZ Range Officer - Roger Keen / Roger Keen / N/A / N/A


Other Committee changes -


Current Committee (in addition to Officers named above): -

Lee Thompson, George Salter, Richard Barnham, Martyn Hill, Jason Porter (Al Thompson).

The above named Committee members offered to stand again for election and were all duly elected. Al Thompson not present, so was unable to stand.


Prospective New Members -

None proposed.


7. Matters Arising


Tony to report on the Inter Club situation. Comments invited from the floor. Shooting Club have tried to suggest a few ideas to make the event more inclusive but, other clubs are not willing to change. Shipham will not be available next year as they are currently between grounds and the Westonzoyland clay shoot ground is on sale with permission to shoot. The members felt it would be refreshing to shoot at other grounds perhaps making a day/night of the event and possibly hold a simulated game day. The committee will make arrangements as they see fit.


Open a discussion on whether second rounds with the same gun will count towards scores, followed by a vote. Following a short discussion, a motion was proposed and carried that only the first round could count towards the 12-card scores (12 for and 5 against). Second rounds may be shot and will count if shooting in a different class (i.e. hammer, side-by-side etc.). All second cards shot in a different class will qualify towards the 12 card minimum.


Proposal Tony proposes to allow under 18s to join the Club in 2020 with no joining fee. It was agreed by members to charge £10 per round and to allow rounds of 25 shots for juniors on a pro-rata basis, on the proviso that not too much 'coaching' take place when others are waiting their turn at the stands. There is no need for the junior to hold their own license but a basic safety lesson is required first and a disclaimer signed by the responsible adult accompanying the child. Safeguarding should not be an issue since young shooters will be accompanied by a parent/family member. It was thought a good idea to hold a specific junior and/or ladies night. Hedley Price has donated £50 to be used towards prizes and his donation could possibly be used to fund such an event(s).

Membership reminders will be sent during the next week.


8. Any Other Business


With Eric stepping down from duties in the committee, Tony would like to ease Eric's workload further by finding an alternative webmaster(s). Eric has agreed to continue at present, but it may prudent to plan ahead and replace him slowly over 6 months. Tony may take over the role, but the aim would be to create a system, with Eric's help, that a number of people could access and edit. Ed Ryle has left a message to say that he might be in a position to help out. Jason Porter offered to help create a Facebook page for the club and update it.


Mike has secured a deal to fix the price of cartridges for next season. Since we now know what these are costing, should we fix the sale price at £5, or increase to £5.50? A vote was taken and the motion to keep the cost at £5 per box was passed by a vote of 9 for, to 5 against. Cartridges will therefore be charged at £5 per box of 25, as currently.


Charity Donations:-

The annual contribution of £200 was made to ''Cannington in Bloom' and an Annual gift of £200 also going to the 'Cannington Combined Charities'. There is a further £100 available and this will be discussed at the next meeting.


It was noted by a member that it is the same people staying behind and clearing up each week. This has been discussed in previous years and it is accepted that it is difficult to enforce and we rely on goodwill. Mike suggested that there be no fixed time to start shooting and it was agreed that either Mike or Tony will give the go-ahead to start shooting as soon as the stands etc. are ready.


For safety reasons it was agreed that the rules be changed to reflect that members must be accompanied on their round (i.e. no one buttons on their own). Therefore, a minimum of 2 and maximum of 6 members may form a group to shoot together.


9. 2020 DIARY


Pre-season Work party Saturday 28th March 2020 (Provisional)

Not much ground work required so rather than the usual work party, we may target specific jobs, such as a full work through of the traps. Quad bikes will be serviced after the Xmas shoot and the trailer is being refurbished with solid leveling feet, new puncture-proof wheels and steel cage. Hitch extensions for the ball traps will be looked into (Jason Porter to enquire at Mole Valley Farmers). Brian Fisher offered to brick up the window in the club hut on 28/03/20.


Shoot Season 2nd April to 24th Sept 2020


Social/Awards eve Saturday 24th Oct 2020


Christmas Shoot Sunday 8th Dec 2020


10. Date of next (2020) AGM Sunday 1st November 2020 (preceded by shoot)


Reminder - The Christmas shoot is on Sunday 8th Dec. The Handicap Trophy, currently held by Kev Bowering will be contested. Prizes will be awarded to 10th place. Your handicaps are available on the sheet.


11. Close of meeting at 14:00hrs


BRIDGWATER SHOOTING CLUB - 2018 AGM on November 4th 2018 - 12.30 pm at the Clays Club Site Hut.


Meeting opened at 12.50


Apologies for absence:
Roger Keen


Attendees:
Perham, Eric Pyrah, Graham Bell, Justine Ison, Lee Thompson, Al Thompson, Richard Barnham, Martyn Hill, Jason Porter, George Salter, Chris Thompson, Dennis Marsh, Ed Ryle, Doug Jeffries, Richard Jeromson, Trevor Allen, Rob Bushrod, Bryan Fisher, Garry Shaw, Malcolm Berridge, Guy Darling.


1. Minutes of last meeting 05/11/17 - to be read out, approved by committee and signed by Chairman.
Minutes of the last meeting were approved and signed by Tony.


2. Chairman's address/report for 2018.
Tony thanked everyone for attending today and also for help throughout the year, before reporting on the years' events, including improvements in equipment, the inter Club shoots and the various social engagements, ending with the prize-giving evening. Hand over to Justine.


3. Secretary's report for 2018.
Justine reported membership of just over 90 and said that renewals may be made at the Christmas shoot or online. Membership renewal letters are to be sent out over the following week.


4. Treasurer's report for 2018.
Graham reported a reduced turnover for the year, but with lower expenditure, leading to an excess on the accounts this year. He also confirmed that renewal fees will remain unchanged, at £10.


5. Westonzoyland Section report for 2018 (if attended).
No representation was made, but Tony reported that their membership levels remain at around 30.


6. Resignations, Nominations and Election of Officers and Committee
Invitation for new nominations: No new nominations were made.
Resignations:There were no resignations. All current Officers and Committee members agreed to stand for election again.


POSITION - CURRENT OFFICER / NOMINEES / PROPOSER / SECONDER


Chairman - Tony Perham / Tony Perham / Justine / Graham


Vice Chairman - Mike Hill / Mike Hill / Tony / Lee


Club Secretary - Justine Ison / Justine Ison / Jason / Malcolm


Treasurer - Graham Bell / Graham Bell / Al / Tony


WZ Range Officer - Roger Keen / Roger Keen / N/A / N/A
(the Westonzoyland Range has its own committee and elects its own officers)


Other Committee changes -


Current Committee (in addition to Officers named above): -

Eric Pyrah (Webmaster), Alistair Thompson, Martyn Hill, Richard Barnham, Lee Thompson, Jason Porter, George Salter
All the above Officers and Committee members were elected with no objections.


Prospective New Members -

No new proposals


7. Matters Arising


Proposal by Tony to suggest a change to Inter Club shoot format:


Possibility of having a one-day 'Championship' at a neutral ground, on a Saturday.


In order to address the low attendance at Inter Club shoots, Tony asked the floor if there could be a way to encourage better participation. He proposed the idea of asking the other Clubs if they would be interested in holding a one-day 'Championship', held at a neutral ground.


Comments from the floor -
After an open discussion, a vote was taken to determine whether a change to the current format should be made. It was unanimously agreed that members did not wish to continue with the current system and Tony was asked to approach the other Clubs to discuss options.

It was also suggested that we could investigate other Clubs in the area. Tony asked for details of any Clubs that members wished to approach.


8. Any Other Business


Charity Donations:-


The annual contribution of £200 was made to 'Cannington in Bloom'.
Annual gift of £200 also to the 'Cannington Combined Charities'.
A further £100 'donation' made to the 'Air Ambulance', through Justine's sponsorship.


Proposal by Martin Tapp to consider a donation to the Scanner Appeal at Musgrove


This will be discussed by Committee next year. It was generally agreed that this would be a good cause.


Guy Darling asked if we could put on a practice stand more frequently next year. It was agreed that we could manage this most weeks, now that we have sufficient traps and controllers (weather/time permitting). In order to prevent the stand being accidentally shot as part of the layout, it was proposed and agreed that the controller for that stand could be kept on the desk until a practice round is purchased and returned immediately after shooting the stand.


Eric Pyrah suggested looking into the possibility of purchasing a defibrillator to use at the Club. Although the initial feeling was that it would be very expensive, Bryan Fisher found a number of models that would be more affordable. Tony agreed that we could do more research into their use, effectiveness and practicality and will discuss at the New Year Committee meeting, before the start of next season.


9. 2019 DIARY


Pre-season Work party Saturday 23rd March 2019


Shoot Season 28th March to 19th Sept 2019


Social/Awards eve Saturday 26th Oct 2019 Venue to be agreed


Christmas Shoot Sunday 8th Dec 2019


10. Date of next (2019) AGM Sunday 3rd November 2019 (preceeded by shoot)


Reminder - The Christmas shoot is on the 2nd Dec. The Handicap Trophy, currently held by Chris Thompson will be contested. Prizes will be awarded to 10th place. Your handicaps are available on the sheet.


Eric will publish details of the Christmas shoot, along with the handicaps, on the website.


11. Close of meeting: Tony closed the meeting at 13.45


BRIDGWATER SHOOTING CLUB - Pre-Season meeting, Blackmore Farm, 21st Feb 2018 @ 19.00


Agenda/Minutes:


The following topics will be discussed with the aim of providing the best experience over the current shoot season: -


1. Membership renewals


Has the new renewal procedure been successful?

The Committee feels that the new methods of reminding members to renew their subscriptions worked well and will be adopted again this year.


How much leeway do we allow this year for late renewal?

It was agreed that no penalties will be applied to any member renewing up to the 4th shoot of the year (19th April).


2. Plans for start of season


Work party – New stands

In addition to general maintenance, a new permanent stand will be built further up the track from the existing stands.


Materials to purchase beforehand

Timber for new stand to be on site prior to work party.


Any further ideas

Afternoon set-up is to revert to the 2pm start time.


3. Weekly shoots


Are we happy with check-in procedures?

It is felt that the current check-in is working satisfactorily. We would ask that membership or other matters are dealt with after all shooters are registered, to prevent queuing.


Improving flow around ground

We wish to ask members to respect a group limit of 6 shooters to prevent blocking of stands. A notice will be displayed to remind members.


All late or second rounds are to be completed starting near the storage container and moving further away as each stand is completed.


Layouts – variation, difficulty

Layouts will continue along the same lines as previously, trying to incorporate as much interest and variation as possible and with no more than 1 tough stand per week. We shall try to make all stands shootable by an average shooter.


Can we do anything better?

Nothing further offered.


4. Equipment improvements


Suggestions

We need to look into sorting out the frustrating electrical issues with the old Chondel/looper trap. We are looking at a possible trade-up to a new model.


The three metal cages are to be adapted for ease of assembly/adjustment.


5. Caps/merchandise


Styles – choose

The Committee looked at samples of sports caps with the Club logo applied and chose a style for the first order. These will be made available to all, at a cost of £10 each.


Place order – how many for first batch?

A first order for 50 caps has been placed with JisonS Embroidery


Use of club logo (and charge for doing so)

Justine is happy to supply any other garment or item with personalized embroidery. Any member wishing to add the Club logo to their own item of clothing, gun-slip etc. will be charged £2 for use of the image. All other charges are set by Justine directly.


6. Any other business

Close of meeting at 21.05


Present at meeting: Tony, Mike, Justine, Graham, Eric, Richard, Martyn, George, Lee


BRIDGWATER SHOOTING CLUB - 2017 AGM on November 5th 2017 - 12.30 pm at the Clays Club Site Hut.


Meeting Commenced at approximately 13.00


Apologies for absence.

George Allen, Mike Hill, Roger Keen, Al Thompson


1. Minutes of last meeting 06/11/16 - to be read out, approved by committee and signed by Chairman.
The 2016 minutes were not available but it was agreed by all in in attendance that no issues were raised that needed addressing. Minutes were therefore approved.


2. Chairman's address/report for 2017.
Tony reported on the year's shooting, highlighting the increased attendance, the re-branding of the Club and the introduction of the Club badges, the success of the introduction of the new safety rules and the results of competitions and social events.


3. Secretary's report for 2017.
Justine reported that Clay Club now has exactly 100 members. Of these, 21 were new members. Justine intends to re-number all members as applications are received and leave the Westonzoyland members to their own committee. Finally, Justine asked members if they were happy with how the 'desk' had been operated throughout the year and said that Niamh may not be available as much next year, in which case she would cover the desk herself.


4. Treasurer's report for 2017.
Graham reports our main expenditure on clays and cartridges at around £7,500, with total income significantly higher. However, with over £7,000 spent on upgrading traps and control equipment, the annual accounts show a net deficit of £1,003.60. Despite the negative income this year, he stated that the Club is healthy and solvent.


5. Westonzoyland Section report for 2017.
In the absence of a WZ representative, Tony read a report submitted by Roger Keen. Roger reports that the WZ half of the Club had decided to form its own committee to run all affairs at the range independently from the rest of the Club. He stated that he has arranged new Home Office approvals for both himself and the shooting range for the next 5 year period. They have also opened their own bank account to handle their own finances. The WZ Range currently retains 34 members. Roger thanked Tony and Justine for their help with his new post and finally extended an invitation to all members to visit one of their Guest days, to be held on the last Sunday of each month. Details will be made available on the notice board.


6. Resignations, Nominations and Election of Officers and Committee Anybody wishing to put themselves or another forward for any of the roles below are asked to do so now. NB Their roles and responsibilities should be understood prior to voting.


POSITION - CURRENT OFFICER / NOMINEES / PROPOSER / SECONDER


Chairman - Tony Perham / Tony Perham / Graham Bell / Jason Porter


Vice Chairman - Mike Hill / Mike Hill / Tony Perham / Eric Pyrah


Club Secretary - Justine Ison / Justine Ison / Malcolm Berridge / Kev Bowering


Treasurer - Graham Bell / Graham Bell / Lee Thompson / Justine Ison


WZ Range Officer - Roger Keen / Roger Keen / WZ Committee / WZ Committee


Other Committee changes -


Current Committee (in addition to Officers named above): -

Eric Pyrah (Webmaster); Alistair Thompson; Martyn Hill; Richard Barnham; Lee Thompson; Jason Porter; George Salter


Prospective New Members -

No new committee members were proposed, so voting took place to re-elect all standing members, who were all elected unanimously.


7. Matters Arising -


The following matters were reported and discussed: -


All Club documents now published on website
New safety policies have been adopted for 2017


Following a request from the landowner, we now have a formal, annual license under which we operate
It is reported that G Bell is the signatory for the license and that no fee is payable. A question was asked as to whether the license could be rescinded at any time and Tony confirmed that, as before, that is still the case. Graham mentioned that he had met the quarry manager at the ground and he was happy with his visit.
Tony added that in addition to the Risk Assessment, Safety Policy and Insurance records, he also records weekly layouts, in order to provide full accountability if required.


Proposals for new membership payment options
Details were given on payment methods available from the Christmas shoot onwards. All members will be made aware of the arrangements in a letter to be sent out by email during November.


Westonzoyland Range


1 All matters concerning WZ Range are now dealt with by their own eleccted committee


2 We will continue to share insurance and will retain a section on the website for WZ to use if they wish (at present, just a brief description and contact details)


Clay Section


Due to increased attendance, start time has been brought forward to 17:00. This has helped to ease the congestion on busy nights.
The question as to whether there are any restrictions was raised. There are no noise restrictions that we are aware of, but is agreed that we do not wish to cause any nuisance.


Charity Donations:-


We have now pledged to make an annual contribution of £200 to "Cannington In Bloom"


We also wish to make an annual gift of £200 to the "Cannington Combined Carities"
No objections were received to these proposals


8. ANY OTHER BUSINESS


Proposal for rewarding course setters and clearers
It was agreed that such a reward scheme would be a fair proposal. Exact details to be worked out by committee.


Christmas Shoot on 3rd December. Handicap shield to be contested by anyone with a handicap (12 cards)
Handicaps already published and available on website.

Dave Weston asked whether we could have more 'flush shooting days'. Due to the restriction on shoot days, we do not have any further days available, but Tony agreed that we could try to incorporate more 'flush stands' into the weekly shoots next season.

Richard Barnham asked if we could dedicate more side-by-side shoots throughout the season. This will need to be explored further, as such a shoot reduces the number of shoots available for 'normal' scoring, but only if we exclude those shoots as we did this year. The purpose of the 2017 s-b-s shoot was to make it sufficiently easy that to include over/under shooters would unfairly distort the scoring and therefore discourage participation in the s-b-s shoot. The only exception to this was to allow ladies scores to count. Proposals for the 2018 season will be discussed by committee.

Kev Bowering asked if any 2nd rounds, or late shooters can start their round at one end (probably the end nearest to Cannington village) in order to aid clear-up. It was agreed that those who shoot a second round should be asked (as previously) to help with picking up. It was also suggested that we could provide more baskets or boxes for picking up clays. This will be dealt with before the start of next season.


9. 2018 DIARY (for website & membership renewal invitation letters)
The following dates were proposed for next year


Pre-season Work party Saturday 24th March 2018


Shoot Season 29th March to 20th Sept 2018


Social/Awards eve Saturday 27th Oct 2018 Venue to be agreed


Christmas Shoot Sunday 2nd Dec 2018


10. Date of next (2018) AGM, Sunday 4th November 2018 (preceeded by shoot)


11. Close of meeting at 14.07


Back to Top